Ganglion Cysts Hand Wrist

Signs, Symptoms and Treatment of Ganglion Cysts

Ganglion cysts are lumps in the hand and wrist that are very common. Watch the latest ganglion cyst video from The Hand Society to see what a cyst looks like and how it can be treated. For more videos, visit www.handcare.org.

Ganglion cysts tend to appear at the top of the wrist, under the wrist, near the bottom of your finger on the palm, and on the top of the end joint of your finger.

Symptoms

The lumps may or may not be painful. The cyst is often filled with clear fluid. The lumps are typically round and can be either soft or very firm.

Treatment

Some treatment options for ganglion cysts include:

1. Observation: In many cases, ganglion cysts will simply disappear, especially if they are painless.
  2. Splints and anti-inflammatory medication: These can be used to decrease pain during activity.
  3. Aspiration: This procedure removes the fluid from the cyst with a needle. It is not a surgical procedure.
  4. Surgery: During surgery, the cyst will be removed.

Find a hand surgeon to discuss the best treatment for you.

Advice from a Certified Hand Therapist: Safety Tips to Avoid Common Holiday Injuries
Random Fact: Fractures
Anatomy 101: The Extensor Tendon
  • May 8, 2019 at 9:20 PM

hello. I have had a ganglion cyst for around 2 years now. If i do certain things, such as bowling, the cyst increases in size and becomes extremely painful. i have been to an OSS when i first noticed it and they identified it as a ganglion cyst. I have worn braces when it is irritated, and the pain usually doesn’t leave for about 2-3 weeks. currently, I irritated it by wrestling with my brother and i can barley bend my wrist half-way. I’m wearing my stabilizer/brace everyday and i spend hours in my hot tub which seems to help. it have been EXTREMELY painful for 4 weeks now. i have tried taking advil and other pain relievers. any help is welcomed. thank you! -kaylyn G

• April 1, 2019 at 11:18 AM

I have a lump that is getting bigger on the top of my right hand, just above my wrist joint. It was the size of a 5 pence piece but has grown to the size of a 10 pence piece and is about 1cm in height. It doesn’t hurt but I’ve started noticing that my little finger and the finger next too it on the right hand (same hand as the lump) keep feeling a bit numb and stiff and also feels s bit like pins and needles (kind of). I’ve not been to the doctor yet. Do u think that I should? Please advise. Many thanks, Samantha Curry.

• L.mac
    November 28, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Mine is hard and extremely painful. It is located under the skin and feels like it may have pushed my bone up on the joint of my hand. I can’t remember how may Years I have had this problem.

• Mike
    November 6, 2018 at 8:29 PM

Mine is hard and protruding from the right side of the finger next to the pinky on my right hand. My primary physician advises that I do nothing. However, it makes that finger look curved at the location, a little unsightly and is slightly achey sometimes.

• November 6, 2018 at 9:48 PM

Mike,

We highly suggest that you visit a hand surgeon for advice, as hand surgeons are specially trained to treat lumps and bumps on the hand. You can find a board-certified hand surgeon near you by visiting our online tool at http://www.findahandsurgeon.com.

Sincerely,
      Hand Society Staff
      The American Society for Surgery of the Hand

• D morley
    July 6, 2018 at 2:47 PM

Can you get a ganglion on one’s foot

• Mrs Thomas
      January 25, 2019 at 1:15 PM

Yes. I get them at the top of my feet close to the base of the leg area.