Stay safe this summer season while mowing your lawn! Lawnmowers can be the cause of serious hand injuries that may lead to loss of fingers or even a hand amputation. Follow these 10 lawnmower safety tips from the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. You can also view these tips with our infographic.
- Never use your hands to remove grass or debris from the lawnmower.
- Never lift a mower from the bottom, or the blades will cut your fingers, even when not running.
- Never cut grass when the ground is damp.
- Read your mower’s instruction manual prior to use.
- Do not remove any safety devices or guards on switches.
- Only allow one person at a time on a riding mower.
- Keep up with the maintenance of your mower, and keep blades sharp.
- Do not drink alcohol before operating a lawnmower.
- Wear protective goggles and gloves, and always wear shoes while mowing the lawn.
- Do not allow children on or near a lawnmower, especially when it is running.
Learn more about hand safety at www.HandCare.org.