Hand Wrist Wrist Pain

7 causes of ulnar-sided wrist pain

people, healthcare and problem concept - close up of man suffering from pain in hand oe wrist at home

The “pinkie” side of the wrist is also known as the ulnar side. Pain on this side can be very common. It can result from injury to bones, cartilage, ligaments or tendons. Due to this wide range of causes, it can be difficult to determine why the pain is happening. Here are some possible causes of ulnar-sided wrist pain:

1. Wrist fracture
  2. Arthritis of the joint(s) between the bones
  3. Ulnar Impaction Syndrome (when the ulna is longer than the radius, which can cause it to “bump into” the smaller wrist bones)
  4. Inflammation or irritation of the tendons that bend and extend the wrist
  5. Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex Injury (TFCC) (when the connection between the ulna bone and other structures in the wrist is torn by an injury or frayed over time)
  6. Nerve injury or compression
  7. Tumors, most commonly ganglion cysts, that are benign

If you are having pain in your wrist, visit a hand surgeon. Your doctor will examine your wrist and potentially take x-rays to determine the cause of pain. Treatment options can include activity modification, splints, therapy, medicine or surgery. Visit www.HandCare.org to learn more and to find a hand surgeon.

What is a hand surgeon?
Advice from a Certified Hand Therapist: Safety Tips to Avoid Common Holiday Injuries
Random Fact: Heat and Ice Treatments
  • Amr
    October 20, 2018 at 2:08 AM

I injured my ulnar wrist a week ago while clean and jerking heavy weights
    I can do all kinds of activities except anything with a 90degrees push
    Pain in ulnar and pinky

• AJ
      November 16, 2018 at 8:02 PM

I also started having wrist pain which I first noticed while doing dumbbell snatches, KB push presses and cleans and jerks now the pain is ridiculous doing push ups, bear crawls, anything weight bearing. also a lot of snapping when i turn or rotate my wrist. Have you had your wrist examined yet? I’m going to make an appointment.

• Chris Copeland
    October 2, 2018 at 7:49 PM

Please add hamate bone fractures. I was misdiagnosed by 3 doctors including an orthopedic surgeon for tendonitis, 5 weeks later after begging the ortho to re-evaluate me I got an MRI that revealed a fracture.

• Ethel Read
    September 8, 2018 at 5:53 AM

It’s a shame that you do not give recommendations for treatment!!!

• linda
    August 27, 2018 at 9:41 PM

I have not hurt my wrist. last week it started hurting. If i lift something it hurts worse..

• ron heinen
    May 23, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Back in 1972 I broke my right wrist, in particular the radius knob. It healed fine and I had the use of it for 46 years before it decided to act up. The symptoms at first were just a looseness in the wrist but now it is painful most of the time. Cortisone shots help but not for long. My question is there something that can be done besides total immobilization at this point.

• Cindy
    April 22, 2018 at 4:59 PM

I stressed/pulled my pinkie while picking up a pile of catalogs. It gets better and then I reinjure it by picking up catalogs or other heavy items. How can I protect it so it heals comoletelt?

• Ahmed
    April 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM

My lower wrist hurts from the ulnar side not strong pain but sensitive( just touching hurts)

• Dan
    February 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM

I hurt my wrist my wrist 7 weeks. I got hit on my wrist playing in a basketball game. The xrays were negative. I wore a brace for 6 weeks. My wrist never swelled up. I didn’t have any pain unless i was throwing a baseball, football or shooting a basketball. I had no loss in strength i am able 2 do push-ups bench curl. No problem at all. I just starting my sports activities back and i still have a pain that kills when i do activities

• rams
      April 19, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Are you still having the pain???

• adrienne conger
    January 31, 2018 at 11:53 AM

My pain alternates between the two wrists and if I apply pressure to the bone it feels better?