Hand Wrist Wrist Fracture

5 Signs of a Wrist Fracture

A wrist fracture is a medical term for a broken wrist. Breaking your wrist can involve any of the eight small bones that make up the wrist, which are connected to the forearm bones called the radius and the ulna. The radius is the most common bone to break in a wrist fracture. This injury typically happens from falling on an outstretched hand, but it can also result from traumatic events such as a car accident. While wrist fractures can vary in severity, here are five signs that you may have broken your wrist rather than simply spraining it:

1. Pain and swelling in the wrist
  2. Inability or difficulty using the hand or wrist
  3. Deformed-looking wrist
  4. Pain with finger movement
  5. Numb or tingling fingers

Even if you can still move your hand and wrist, it can still be broken. Your fracture may be stable (called a non-displaced break), in which the bones do not move out of place, or it may be displaced, which means the bones need to be put back in the right place.

Depending on the severity of your fracture, it can be treated with a splint, cast, or surgery. Visit a hand surgeon as soon as possible if you may have broken your wrist. This will prevent you from having permanent damage. Visit www.HandCare.org to learn more or to find a hand surgeon near you.

Advice from a Certified Hand Therapist: Pumpkin fun without knives!
Random Fact: Skiing Injuries
Thumb Arthritis: Symptoms, Treatment and Recovery
  • October 15, 2019 at 8:48 AM

Hey, guys! My wrist is hurting for 3years and 10 month. Ever since i was doing the exercise and accidently misplacing the foot and fell down and no, I actually I rolled down by accident and I had a bent wrist, and when I bend my right wrist, I hear weird sounds. What should I do? Writing with my wrist is a pain, but my doctor is not noticing a fracture, but recently, American pediatrican called, and she said “Hey, I think you have a fracture in your right hand. I was totally shocked by it. What should I do? Do I need to check with another doctor that who not sees a false x-ray? Help!!!!!!

• October 4, 2019 at 5:58 PM

I am from the USA and I do gymnastics so one day after my gymnastics lesson I was relaxing at home watching YouTube like normal and all the sudden I had bad aching pains this has happened once before so I am gonna get a X-ray but I think I have the non displaced fracture it hurts really bad and this happened once so I am gonna get crated most likely because I want to and feel like I need to.

• Aria
    July 31, 2019 at 9:48 PM

me and my friends were playing basketball and the pole was unstable, it almost fell on my friend’s head but i somehow held it up long enough for him to move, 2 bones got broken what can i do
    please answer
    PS. I’m 12

• Elizabeth
    July 6, 2019 at 7:44 PM

My wrist has been hurting for well over six months I was told by doctor that it was a torn ligament as there is pain in the wrist that worsens when I stretch out my thumb but there wasn’t a crazy or anything the doctor just looked at it
    Now the bone on my right wrist is protruding and it hurts all the time especially when I do certain movements could it actually be a broken or fractured bone ?

• Alexis
    June 20, 2019 at 5:54 PM

i think i broke my wrist because I stupidly wanted to jump off the side of one of my couch to the other and i forgot there wa a blanket under me and fell on my wrist

• Archie
    June 8, 2019 at 3:58 AM

My cast on my broken wrist are take off 1 months later but one day I accidentally use it. I accidentally lift a 1 gallon of water. And now my wrist is aching not to much. What is the possible happen to my healing broken wrist? Please answer I am from p
    Philippines

• Luna
    May 27, 2019 at 9:55 AM

I fell on my wrist one day near my thumb on my left hand. It gave me a bruise that didn’t go away to quickly. Its been about half a year and my wrist keeps cracking and when i move my wrist i have pain on the right side of my left hand

• Brittany Carpenter
    May 18, 2019 at 8:19 PM

Hi I fell and injured my pinky side of my right wrist, where the bone sticks out. It was all bruised and swollen and x-ray showed no fractures 2 days after. They put me in a brace called it a sprain. It has been almost 2 weeks and there is still swelling around the bone, discoloration, warm to the touch, my fingers are cold and it hurts like crazy to move it. Do you think this could be a fracture?

• Joanne Mullen
    September 27, 2018 at 12:47 AM

I had a cast put on my wrist going half way up my forearm and stabilizing my thumb. X-ray revealed a non-displaced split in my scaphoid bone. This was caused by a fall as I was walking backwards carrying something heavy with another person on the other end & I tripped.

• christinacasswell
    August 21, 2018 at 9:20 AM

hi my son went high skating and landed on his thumb and wrist hospital r saying its a scalla bone but hes in right pain his thumb is purple and sore and painful im wondering if hes fractured his thumb

• Eric
    August 13, 2018 at 4:58 AM

Hello good morning.
    Was fixing a heavy duty truck floor jack twisting, lowering and all the duties in there. I was turning handle and kinda using forward strength but tightening/holding back at the same time to prevent it from dropping too fast and that little star/cogwheel system slipped during this and My wrist slipped/jerked forward. I think I heard a noise from it but there were couple other noises at same time so not 100% sure but wasn’t much pain still very little pain(kinda like tingly nerve muscle pains) if any but I do have a piece of bone about 1″ below my right wrist,thumbside)pressing from underneath (not through)at least 1/4″ sometimes there’s tingly sensation along with pain. I’m a chef. I use my hands a
    whole lot there’s very little pain.Should I have this checked by a Dr.? It’s been about 1 half months since I sustained this injury .

• William R Benton
    July 14, 2018 at 9:36 AM

I broke my wrist. distal radius fracture. I can move my fingers. After the break, I had a tiny puncture of my little finger. M finger has not swollen moree but the skin appears bruised but there is no pain. D I need this checked out?

• Janice
      October 2, 2018 at 10:54 AM

On my pinky side, the bone that normally protrudes a little is larger than normal, the ulna, and hurts a little with some movements but ok to move around. I was lifting heavy files from the ground and feel i hurt it then. Not sure whether to keep secured or exercise it some.

• Brooke
    July 9, 2018 at 3:46 AM

my wrist has been hurting on the left of my right wrist for a while now and when I press it kills and I struggle to move my thumb could it be a minor fracture?

• Rosa Cortez
    April 21, 2018 at 8:37 PM

I fell and hit my wrist but I can still move my fingers well but my wrist hurts too much, would it just be a sprain only ?

• Nicholas Ensign
      April 29, 2018 at 2:20 PM

It could be only a wrist sprain or a tendon injury. However, if it is a fall you should still get an x-ray as soon as possible.