Ganglion Cysts Hand Lumps and Bumps

How to Know If You Have a Ganglion Cyst

Ganglion cysts are lumps in the hand and wrist that are fairly common. They can occur in people of all ages, and the cause is unknown. Sometimes they are painful, but many times they will not affect you. Here’s how to know that you have a ganglion cyst and not a wart or different type of lump:

• The lump may be filled with clear fluid or gel.
  • The lump will be oval or round in shape.
  • Light is often able to pass through the lump (transillumination).

Your ganglion cyst may change in size over time or even disappear completely. Some are soft and some are firm. To treat a ganglion cyst, sometimes it may be appropriate to simply do nothing. Other times, your surgeon may recommend a splint, medication, aspiration (removing the fluid with a needle), or surgery.

Talk to your hand surgeon about the best treatment option for you. Learn more about ganglion cysts at www.HandCare.org.

How to safely use a snowblower
8-year-old Zion receives first ever bilateral hand transplant in a child
Random Fact: Stuck Ring
  • Elmore Tina
    August 15, 2019 at 8:03 PM

Idk. As far as I can see, no one has answered a single question. Why are we here?

• Maria Davila
    July 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM

Painful lumps on left knee, and elbow, theres also swelling and pain from shoulder to finger. Knee pains shoot to legs ax and feet. There are 2 lumps on wrist where it meets the thumb line. Low fever. Not all the time. Areas of swelling and lumps are red and hot. Nausea, and headaches. Constipation, then diarrhea. It changes from one to the other often.

• Maria Davila
    July 14, 2019 at 2:52 AM

Painful soft plums on left knee, and elbow, theres also swelling and pain from shoulder to finger. Knee pains shoot to legs ax and feet. There are 2 lumps on wrist where it meets the thumb Kline. Low fever. Not all the time. Areas of swelling and lumps are red and hot. Nausea, and headaches. Constipation, then diarrhea. It changes from one to the other often.

• LaRee Langley
    February 9, 2019 at 7:08 AM

I have a growth that looks like a cyst on my left hand index finger at the first joint. It has been there about six months or more has grown enough that it gets caught on papers irritated by rubbing my other fingers. Wha should I go to for taking it off? It’s in the joint of my finger and I play the piano

• Ravi
    December 31, 2018 at 1:45 AM

I have lump does it affect my badminton career

• fawaz
    October 15, 2018 at 10:29 AM

my lump is always coming and going and it comes anytime i play lawn tennis for a long time. but my lump isnt really big and soft , it is small and hard

• Phillipa Lion
    October 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM

What I see as ganglions on the palm side of my fingers have a blue tinge to them. Is this normal?

• Dee
      May 18, 2019 at 11:16 PM

I have the exact same thing on my left palm!

• September 10, 2018 at 2:09 AM

Good post. Awesome 😉

• Tiera Williams
    July 25, 2018 at 8:39 AM

I’ve had this Ganglion cyst in between my wrist for about 2 years now, and just this upcoming 2018 it has been very painful and makes my whole hand feel funny, weak, and where the cyst is located very tender and sore. Any answer to what it could possibly mean at this point?!

• Robert Muick
    July 5, 2018 at 12:48 PM

Should I get a punch biopsy on lump behind cuticle . lump looks like cyst in picture.