Ligament Thumb Thumb Sprain

5 Signs of a Thumb Sprain

A thumb sprain is an injury to a ligament, which is a soft tissue that connects bones to each other at joints, as opposed to a thumb fracture (break) which is an injury to the bone. Many times, thumb sprains will result from sports injuries or falls. For example, skiing results in many thumb injuries, as does basketball. Or, you may fall and try to catch yourself, bending your thumb in an awkward position.

Here are 5 signs that you have sprained your thumb:

1. Swelling
  2. Bruising
  3. Pain
  4. Weakness
  5. Trouble performing daily activities such as writing or holding a glass

These symptoms may also ring true if you’ve broken your thumb. To determine the severity of your injury, visit a hand surgeon as soon as possible. He or she may take x-rays to see if any bones are broken. If a ligament is torn, it may be treatable with a cast or splint. Or, you may need surgery.

Every patient is different, so visit a hand surgeon to determine the best treatment for your injury. Learn more about thumb sprains and other upper extremity conditions at www.HandCare.org.

Random Fact: Skiing Injuries
Thumb Arthritis: Symptoms, Treatment and Recovery
de Quervain’s Syndrome: Symptoms and Treatment
  • Janaina M Conlon
    April 25, 2019 at 5:40 PM

I hurt my left thumb tossing football with the kids on Easter. It’s still swelling
    What should I do?

• ddj
    April 20, 2019 at 4:26 PM

hi, i have been feeling pain at the base of my thumb lately.. its almost a month since i noticed this pain. i dont remember anything that shouldve caused this pain. it also didnt swell when i started feeling it. when i bend my thumb going in, the base will hurt. and if i put a little force going out, it will hurt too.

• April 7, 2019 at 10:19 PM

My thumbs been hurting and when I open things it’s in pain alittle

• Elizabeth M Edwards
    March 11, 2019 at 3:14 PM

My thumb is locking and clicking and I can’t grab hold of things without pain. I am trying to rule out if I need to see a Dr.

• Evelyn Rodriguez
      March 18, 2019 at 8:59 AM

Good morning. It sounds like you may have a trigger thumb. That is the A1pulley of the thumb is preventing to straighten because you may have a lot of swelling and/or scar tissue inside your thumb. You may also have different type of injury but this is my best guess I’ve had 4 surgeries, each in different fingers. The thumb is the least painful, I think. I’ve had both thumbs done a middle and a ring finger. My ring finger was done just done in November of 2018 The treatment varies. If you catch it early, the treatment is usually a conservative approach which is a anti inflammatory oral medication with a splint to rest the thumb. If that doesnt work, then a shot and then surgery if shot fails. If your thumb is already getting stuck when you bend it, it’s usually surgery because the first two steps usually do not work when the tendon is already clicking and hurting. None of this is my advise, it is what I have been through with both of my hands. Find yourself a GOOD hand surgeon. I am attaching a link for you. Good luck.

you tube video on a1 pulley of the thumb

• February 28, 2019 at 5:03 PM

thank you-you helped me realize that i sprained my thumb by playing sports.